Full-text Search with Sphinx and PHP
Sphinx is an open source search server which combines very fast full-text search with a great scalability. It's growing up fast and we not only inventing new features for full text search itself, but also creating new ways to integrate Sphinx into PHP based applications.If you are not yet using Sphinx, we'll be highlighting some key steps on how to serve Full-Text queries to your PHP based applications from start to finish.
If you are an advanced Sphinx Search user, this talk will describe where one can offload MySQL or standard Database functions to Sphinx. From some specific queries one can run on the Sphinx to how to increase both performance and scalability of your applications (web-based or otherwise).
Besides tips and tricks centered around integration with PHP/MySQL based applications, you will learn about the recent 2.0.1 release straight from the proverbial 'horse's mouth.' This talk will utilize and focus on real-world examples from installation and integration to handling search results.
Sphinx is the acronym for SQL Phrase Index. Some key features of this search engine are (from official site):
1. high indexing speed (upto 10 MB/sec on modern CPUs)
2. high search speed (avg query is under 0.1 sec on 2-4 GB text collections)
3. high scalability (upto 100 GB of text, upto 100 M documents on a single CPU)
4. supports distributed searching (since v.0.9.6)
5. supports MySQL natively (MyISAM and InnoDB tables are both supported)
6. supports phrase searching
7. supports phrase proximity ranking, providing good relevance
8. supports English and Russian stemming
9. supports any number of document fields (weights can be changed on the fly)
10. supports document groups
11. supports stopwords
12. supports different search modes ("match all", "match phrase" and "match any" as of v.0.9.5)
13. generic XML interface which greatly simplifies custom integration
14. pure-PHP (ie. NO module compiling etc) search client API
Watch Online :
Reference Links :
Blog CommentsMethew Lawn on 08/Jan/2012
Nice post on full text search. Thanks for share..Nitin Sharma on 25/Dec/2011
This post is great. Thank you Ezeelive for this post. I like this type of people who share knowledge with others.Nethinn Tinn on 04/Dec/2011
You guys are really rocking..This one which i am looking nicely explained with reference.Thanks!Bob mark on 04/Dec/2011
Good post on sphinx with php.Ranjana on 03/Dec/2011
Lovely post i really love your all the posts and blogs. Thanks for sharing.Heurey Jack on 03/Dec/2011
very nice tutorial on sphinx full text search with php.Bradley Leon on 03/Dec/2011
When i visit your website i always found something new on your website, which really helps as a web developer. Your posting is really helping to understand technology better. I really fan of your website. you are really working hard for sharing good posting. Thanks and god bless you.Jeorge on 03/Dec/2011
Wow..Great tutorial. you guys are just rocking. Properly explained with reference links. ThanksGaurav Bedi on 03/Dec/2011
This article is really helpfull for Full text search in Mysql. I am really looking this type of solution.Thanks for sharing.